onVisit 5.7 brings onVisit Update
With onVisit 5.7 and greater comes the onVisit Update client. The client is a service which is installed locally and can manage onVisit needed services, such as Access, Print, UserSync and WiFi directly from the control panel of onVisit web. This allows onVisit to install, stop, update and delete onVisit-related services, which improves efficiency for both the end user and onVisit. Need for remote screensharing software such as TeamViewer will be minimal after upgrading to onVisit 5.7 (or greater).
To upgrade to onVisit 5.7 or greater, you will need to be in contact with support. Support triggers the update of your onVisit system. You can then either coordinate with support to let them deal with install of onVisit Update and relevant drivers, or you can follow the steps below to replace drivers with 5.7 relevant drivers. 32 bit drivers will be replaced with 64 bit drivers, this includes the Brother b-PAC drivers.
After you have contacted support to upgrade your onVisit system to 5.7 or higher, follow the steps below for a complete setup of your devices. The steps below require administrator access to your onVisit devices and an administrator account in your onVisit website.
1. Stop running onVisit Services
In order to successfully uninstall b-PAC, the onVisit Print Client Service needs to be stopped:
- In Windows, enter Services.msc
- Stop the onVisit Print client, usually named something along the lines of '11500.Adaptive.onVisit.PrintClient.Brother' where the first digits will match the digits of your onVisit URL.
2. Brother b-PAC drivers
Remove Brother 32 bit b-PAC drivers and replace with Brother 64 bit b-PAC drivers:
- Enter 'Add or remove programs' in Windows
- Search for 'brother b-pac', and click uninstall:
- Go to Brother's page to download 64 bit b-PAC. Latest version at present date (06.06.2023) is 3.4.007. Make sure you download the 64 bit version of b-PAC.
- Run and install b-PAC via the 64 bit installer you downloaded.
Remove old onVisit Registration client
Although the Registration Client will automatically update itself after the upgrade to 5.7, you can remove it if you wish, and then later reinstall it with onVisit Update directly from the Control Panel in the onVisit web portal. This will gather all your onVisit components in the same folder, and reduce clutter in your local systems.
Run deployment script
All hardware sent out by Adaptive AS has first gone through steps to lock down the devices, making them less likely to be disrupted. Contact support to access the PowerShell scripts we run in order to provide a more secure platform.
The script applies best practices on many features in Windows:
- Changes gesture settings
- Turns off EEE
- Removes unnecessary bloat in Windows
- Changes screen settings to 100% brightness at all times
- Weekly reboot
- Set of active hours for windows update
Install onVisit Update
- In your onVisit web portal, go to Control Panel -> Clients -> onVisit Update clients, download the onVisit client:
- Extract the client to C:\onVisit\
- Enter folder C:\onVisit\<id>.onVisitUpdate\InstallScript\
- Run 01_onVisitUpdateInstall.bat as admin.
- Run 02_onVisitUpdate_Start.bat as admin.
- Go back to the onVisit Update clients in the web portal in step 1.
- If the onVisit Update service is running, the client should be registered automatically.
- See this guide with English translation for a more in-depth walkthrough of the functionality of the onVisit Update client.